Links and Resources

Results

Tahlee House
Tall Ships Victoria
Tallangatta & District Heritage Group
Tallangatta & District Heritage Group - Museum
Tambellup Cornershop Museum
Tamborine Mountain Visitor Information Centre
Tamworth Powerstation Museum
Tamworth Visitor Information Centre
Tannum Sands Visitor Information Centre
Taralga Historical Society Inc
Taralga Historical Society Inc - Museum
Tarella Historic Cottage Museum & Hobby's Reach Library and Research Centre
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery
Tasmanian Transport Museum
Tasmanian Wool Centre (Ross)
Tatura & District Historical Society
Tatura Irrigation & Wartime Camps Museum
Temora Aviation Museum
Temora Visitor Information Centre
Tenterfield and District Historical Society Inc
Tenterfield Gateway Visitors Information Centre
Tenterfield Railway Station Museum
Tenterfield School of Arts
Terang and District Family History Group Inc.
Terang Cottage Crafts
TerrEstrial Visitor centre
Terrigal Visitor Information Cenrte
Texas Heritage Centre & Tobacco Museum
Texas Historical Society Incorporated
The Brig Amity
The Entrance Visitor Information Centre
The Farm Shed Museum and Tourism Centre
The Friends of St John's Stroud Inc
The Heights Heritage House and Garden
The Kodja Place Visitor Centre
The Lady Nelson Visitor Information and Discovery Centre
The Land of the Beardies History House Museum and Research Centre
The Mint
The Oaks Historical Society
The Sheep's Back Museum
The Warwick and District Historical Society Inc “Pringle Cottage Museum Complex”ex
Thredbo Historical Society Inc and Thredbo Ski Museum
Tiaro Craft Cottage Inc and Tourist Information Centre
Tocumwal Visitor Information Centre
Tolga Historical Society Inc
Tom Price Visitor Centre
Toodyay Historical Society (Inc)
Toodyay Visitor Centre
Toora & District Family History Group Inc
Toowong & District Historical Society
Toowoomba & Darling Downs Family History Society - Library
Torquay Visitor Information Centre
Tourism Hervey Bay
Town of Narrogin Local History Collection
Townsville Southern Highway Information Centre (Townsville Enterprise Ltd)
Tramway Museum Society of Victoria - Bylands Museum
Tranby House
Traralgon & District Historical Society Inc
Trentham and District Historical Society Inc
Trentham Tourist Information Outlet
Triabunna Visitor Information Centre
Tully Visitor and Heritage Centre
Tumut Region Visitor Information Centre
Turkish Bath Museum - Mount Wilson
Tweed Gold Coast Family History and Heritage Association Inc
Tweed Heads Historical Society Inc
Tweed Heads Historical Society Inc
Tweed Heads Visitor Information Centre
Tweed Regional Museum - Murwillumbah
Tweed Regional Museum - Tweed Heads
Tweed Regional Museum - Uki
Tweed River Regional Museum - Tweed Heads
Tweed River Regional Museum - Uki & South Arm

 

The Brig Amity
Information: The Amity sailed from Sydney on 9th November 1826, carrying a party under the command of Major Edmund Lockyer, who had orders to form a settlement at King George Sound.

After a difficult voyage, the first half battling through heavy weather in Bass Strait and the second enduring the summer heat of the westward run, the brig reached Princess Royal Harbour on Christmas Day.

The settlement party comprised the commandant Major Edmund Lockyer, a captain, surgeon, storekeeper, 18 rank and file soldiers, and 23 convicts, mostly tradesmen. Also on board were the vessel's own crew and a naval party comprising Lt Colson Festing, a quartermaster, midshipman and a marine batman - and stores for six months, including sheep and pigs.

Later sold back into private ownership, in 1831, the Amity was operated in Tasmania until, in June 1845, she was wrecked in Bass Strait on an uncharted sandbank. The replica The project to build a replica of the brig Amity commenced in 1972. After much discussion and research, construction started in 1975, with local boat builder Mr Stan Austin as project supervisor and Mr Pieter van de Brugge as leading shipwright. Other local craftsmen joined the team, with the aim of making the replica the focal point of celebrations of the 150th anniversary of the brig's arrival.

When you visit this full-size replica, try to imagine more than 50 men, together with stores, sheep and pigs, sharing this small vessel in a difficult journey taking over six weeks.

The Albany Historical Society, under an arrangement with the City of Albany, is proud to manage the Brig Amity.

Opening times: 9.30am to 4pm daily

Entry fees: adults $5; students/children $2; family $12; school groups, price by negotiation
Phone: (08) 9841 5403
Address:

Albany Historical Precinct, off Princess Royal Drive
Albany WA

Website: http://www.historicalbany.com.au/amity.htm
  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
VERSION

Articles

Index of all
Australian Heritage articles